The Children's Blizzard

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What is the Children's Blizzard of 1888?

The Children's Blizzard of 1888 is a blizzard that hit North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Oklahoma and some of Canada. The day started warm and sunny. None of the children took jackets to school because of the surprisingly warm weather in January. The blizzard was preceded by a snowstorm that dropped powdery snow on the northern and central plains that brought brutally cold temperatures with it. The blizzard met an immense Arctic cold front that was laden with warm moist airs from the gulf, causing the temperature to drop from a few degrees above freezing to -20ยบ F. The cold temperatures was accompanied by strong winds and heavy snow. The most deadly thing of the storm was the timing. It hit during school and work hours. It was surprising because of the warm spell of weather that was before it. Since the day was so warm many people left their homes to go do chores, go into town, visit friends and family and many were caught in the storm. Including the schoolchildren on their way home from school. There are many remarkable stories of survivors, but the tragedy was far greater. The death toll was 235 people and travel was severely impended for several days after the storm.

2 comments:

  1. Before I read this I had no idea that this ever occurred!
    This blog is perfect. It doesn't have too much information but just enough to make me want to keep doing research on it.
    Every post kept me interested and kept my eyes locked on the screen. I would give this blog nine thumbs up if i had them!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I didn't know what it was either! I saw it and was kinda interested so I figured I'd do it haha

    ReplyDelete